HomeGENERALHow to Apply For Home Insurance in the UK

How to Apply For Home Insurance in the UK

Applying for home insurance in the UK is relatively simple. Almost all companies require that you fill out a simple quote form to calculate your annual premium. Once you have selected the premium and other details, you can purchase the policy online or visit a local insurance agent. Most insurers offer quick coverage and electronic documents that contain important information such as your policy number, general terms and conditions, and how to make a claim. Whether you buy a policy online or with a local agent, the process is fast and convenient.

Home insurance protects against theft

There are several reasons to purchase home insurance in the UK. Home insurance is important in protecting your home against various disasters like fire, burglary, flood, and so on. Before buying a policy, you need to be aware of the types of policies and coverage that are available. There are several types of home insurance policies, so you must find out the type that best suits your needs. Here are some tips for selecting a good home insurance policy:


Insurers are implementing changes to make flood cover part of home insurance policies more affordable and available to consumers. Government and insurance companies are backing a new initiative, known as Flood Re, which aims to make insurance affordable for households that are at risk of flooding. This could make insuring homes with a high risk of flooding more difficult, but the scheme is not without exceptions. As the British climate changes, insurers are considering raising the price of policies for homes with high risk of flooding.

Natural disasters

Although the UK is not at risk from hurricanes and tornadoes, it is vulnerable to winter storms that can damage property and ruin lives. While the total amount of economic losses from these events was only PS23.7 billion in 2015, the average claim was PS50,000. Fortunately, there are measures you can take to avoid flood damage and have your insurance policy cover the cost of reconstruction. In addition to natural disasters, you should also take out buildings insurance, which will cover the structure of your property and any fixtures and fittings you have in the home.


Buying loss cover for home insurance in the UK is a relatively straightforward process. Unlike other forms of insurance, home insurance does not require a lengthy process of making a claim. Instead, you simply fill out a simple online form to file a claim. Once approved, the insurer reimburses you for the loss. The entire process takes no more than a few weeks. In many cases, the insurer will even offer assistance to help you switch insurance providers, saving you a great deal of time and money.


In the UK, personal liability insurance is not commonly included with home insurance. This is an additional type of insurance that protects you against liability for injuries to third parties. Home insurance policies usually include liability insurance, whereas standalone liability insurance is often purchased to cover an incident that may occur. Combined home insurance and personal liability insurance policies are a good choice for many home owners, tenants and landlords. Combined home insurance and personal liability insurance can save you money.

Standalone liability insurance

Homeowners can get standalone liability insurance in the UK for the contents of their home. These policies are more common among renters, as students do not need to worry about buildings insurance. However, homeowners should check with their freeholder or landlord to ensure that their policy covers the contents of their house. Most standard policies only cover up to PS1,000 of value, so it is essential to consider purchasing separate cover if the value of your items exceeds this figure. Other things to consider are whether or not your property is left unoccupied for more than 30 days, as this could result in higher premiums.

Buildings-only insurance

Whether you own your home or rent it, building insurance should be your first priority. It will protect you financially if your house is destroyed in an accident. While it is not mandatory, it is usually a condition of a mortgage. In addition to the structure of the building, you should consider other structures in the event of a fire or flood. Buildings-only insurance policies are available at many different price points.

Combined contents and buildings insurance

Combined contents and buildings insurance is one of the most popular types of home insurance in the UK. It is a great way to protect your property from loss or damage in the event of a natural disaster. The standard contents insurance policy provides cover for fire, flooding, storm damage, burglary and vandalism. There are some exclusions, including acts of terrorism, negligence, and general wear and tear. Typical policies cost between PS40 and PS65 per year. However, if you live in a high-value home, this insurance policy may cost over PS100 a year.


One of the major benefits of auto-renewal home insurance is its ease of use. However, it is important to know that this feature may also have some major drawbacks. If your policy is not renewable by the end of its term, your premium may be higher. An insurer must send you a notice about the renewal date at least 21 days prior to the expiration date. Besides, you will not always receive adequate coverage from your insurer.


The average cost of home insurance in the UK has fallen over the past year, with the price of contents insurance down by 11%. This is according to data from the ABI’s Household Insurance Premium Tracker, which measures the actual price that households pay for insurance. Generally, London and the East of England have the highest premiums, while the North East and West Midlands have the lowest. The cost of home insurance varies by region and risk level.

Must Read

error: Alert: Content selection is disabled!!