Through the years, trading styles have evolved and numerous tactics have been developed as new expert traders emerge. Different types of trading exist, but options trading is probably one of the most unique and certainly one of the most exciting. So, what is it?
Options trading is the act of buying or selling options contracts. An option contract gives the buyer the right to buy or sell an underlying asset at a specified price on or before a certain date. Options trading can be performed on a wide variety of underlying assets, including stocks, commodities, currencies, and indexes.
Options trading is a versatile way to trade. It can be used to speculate on the direction of a market, or to hedge against an existing position. Options trading can also be used to generate income through the sale of options contracts.
Options trading is a bit different than other types of trading, and it’s important to understand the basics before getting started. Here are a few things to keep in mind:
- Options contracts are not standardized like other financial instruments. This means that the terms of each contract can be customized to fit the needs of the buyer and seller.
- Options contracts are traded on exchanges, and they are bought and sold through brokerages.
- Options contracts have a limited lifespan. Most options expire within a few months, although some longer-term options are available.
- Options contracts are subject to time decay. This means that their value decreases as they approach expiration.
- Options contracts are also subject to volatility risk. This means that their value can fluctuate sharply, depending on the underlying asset’s price movements.
- There are available options trading platform that provide a wide variety of features and tools. It is important to choose a platform that fits your needs and trading style.
Here are the top options trading platforms online:
- eOption: eOption is a great choice for options traders. The platform offers low commissions, advanced trading tools, and a user-friendly interface.
- TradeStation: TradeStation is another popular option for options trading. The platform provides commission-free stock and options trading, and it offers a variety of powerful tools and features.
- TD Ameritrade: TD Ameritrade is a well-known online broker that offers commission-free trading for stocks, options, and ETFs. The platform also provides a robust selection of research and educational resources.
- Interactive Brokers: Interactive Brokers is a popular choice for active traders. The platform provides low commissions, advanced trading tools, and direct market access.
- Robinhood: Robinhood is a commission-free stock and options trading app that is popular with millennials. The platform has a simple, user-friendly interface and it offers real-time market data.
Now that you know a bit about options trading, it’s time to start learning some of the basic strategies. There are many ways to trade options, and the strategies you use will depend on your goals and the market conditions. But no matter what, always remember to trade responsibly and never risk more than you can afford to lose.